All for one and one for all… the Buttons!

Despite the many, wonderful and varied costumes that we create here at Midnight Costume Services it is always the Historical Costumes that excite me the most. There is a certain amount of Indiana Jones-ing to be done with the Patterns as I hunt for resources hidden in my studio Library  and across the internet, which is always enjoyable!

This Commission was for a 3 Musketeers Cloak, inspired by the BBC TV Series…

bb8 bb9

This Cloak is secretly super cool, as you can un-button and re-button the side seams to create sleeves, or a cloak! Wicked, right?

bb11 bb10

I actually have this Pattern among my historical resources so all I had to do was locate, scale up and re-size for my Client. Above on the left you can see another version of the Pattern, with an extant example , and on the right is my Pattern.

bb1 bb7

This was a time consuming but relatively simple make to be honest, I made and lined each piece separately, made over 60 Button Holes and sewed on over 60 Buttons. The Collar was added in so my Client could wear the Cloak in a variety of ways, including off the shoulder.

bb2 bb3 bb4 bb7

I used a really beautiful Midnight Blue soft, drapey wool with matching lining and Brass effect Buttons.

For such a simple Pattern I was absurdly pleased with the results!

Happy stitching!

A week in the life of a Costume Maker!

The last week has been incredibly hectic, with not one but three huge Costumes being made in the Studio. The first was another for Celebrity Cruises who wanted the Evil Enchantress Costume I made up earlier this year in Blue…

a c

The Collar was again constructed by hand using layers of Crin, Net, Calico and Blue Lycra (the base fabric of the Costume) with the addition of those fab Laser Cut Butterflies.

Each Butterfly is individually sewn on, which as you can imagine take quite a while. Indeed, I had someone just on Butterfly duty!

g i l

Front, side and back of the final Costume. The Skirt is separate for ease and a Quick Change. I’m not sure, but I think I like the version better than the Black one!

In total this Costume took about 100 hours and three people to create however; we only had three days so you can imagine how quick we were stitching!

The second order was two Georgian Dresses for a Media Ball. Again, a little bit of a rush job but with myself and my trusty seamstress assistants we just about managed it.

 9 8

3 12 7

One was a delicate and flouncy affair, with Silk Ribbons, gorgeous Linen Toile du Juoy Underskirt, delicate silken Pinked and Scalloped Ruffle and Satin Bows.

4 5 6

The second was a darkly Gothic creation made from lovely, heavy striped Velvet with a dark Purple line which inspired the dark Purple Silken Pinked and Pleated Ruffle with Black Satin Bows and Black Lace detailing across the Bodice and Front of the Skirt.

With over 10 meters of Boning in each Bodice, over 20 meters of trim in each and taking about 80 hours to create these were managed in a 2 and a half day period as a last minute order. We stitched until the last possible moment, but these fair ladies made it to the Ball!

After a few days off to look after my Husband who has just had an operation I shall be back at the Sewing Machine on my next order… but also at the drawing board for a huge Costume Design Commission I will be building in the new year, eek!

Happy stitching!